To anyone who may be interested please have a look at the information below, and to anyone who may know someone who might be interested, please pass the information along. This is a great opportunity:
Volunteer Mentor Opportunity
YouthBuild Just-A-Start is looking for mentors to work with students aged 17-24 who are enrolled in our program. This program provides out of school youth with education, job skills, leadership skills, and a chance to get their lives headed in a positive direction. YouthBuild mentors will provide support to their mentees as they go through the YouthBuild experience, as well as ongoing support to graduates in order to ensure their continued educational, personal, and professional success. Mentors are a key part of the YouthBuild community, supporting the learning, development, and exploration of the students.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Enjoy working with adolescents
- Caring, dependable, and a good listener
- Supportive, flexible, open and approachable
- Resourceful in helping their mentee achieve their educational and career goals.
Responsibilities & Time Commitment
- 12 month commitment, with approximately 4-6 hours/month (combination of in-person meetings, group activities, phone calls, emails, etc.)
- Focus attention on the student’s Life Plan (short and long term goals)
- Attend program ceremonies, e.g. a Matching Ceremony and a Celebration at the end of the program
- Communicate twice a month with Mentor Coordinator, who will provide support for these relationships.
- 25 years of age or older
- Successful completion of full application process and training
- Acceptable CORI and SORI.
Benefits of Volunteering as a Mentor
- Become part of a dynamic, youth focused agency
- Experience the fulfillment of watching a young person grow, develop skills, and gain confidence
- Opportunity to learn about different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Chance to guide a young adult towards their education and career goals
- Become more involved in your community.
If interested, please contact:
Kati Chase, Mentor Program Coordinator
Phone: 617-492-1460 x20